Friday, December 18, 2015

Kelly Slater's Wavepool


I lied. I lie a lot. I surfed this morning with Ty Breuer. And Antonio Sanchez. And Mike Ming. And the skinny guy with a face screwed up like he's not having a good time and surfs really fast and uses his fins instead of his rails too much. And a small friendly contingent of Little Tokyo. And a couple older longboard guys who keep their legs splayed a touch too wide when they paddle. And then Ty dropped by for lunch and showed me this. Mesmerizing. I don't dig how many times Kelly Slater feels like he has to proclaim that it's the best wave pool ever made. But that's his schtick. He's a competitor. He's one of the great alpha competitors of all time. So I guess that will sneak out.
A Few Instant Reactions:
1. "Great now all these assholes will show up at the local with a bagful of technique honed on some perfect fake wave and try to impose a new fangled lineup meritocracy based on technique honed on some perfect fake wave. Right at the moment in my life where my body has given up wanting to get into a punch up. Just great."
2. "Jesus, how great would it be to spend a few days a year honing my technique on a perfect fake wave."
3. "Remember that time I posted 76 times in a single month? Mind blowing from this range."
4. "How likely is it that Thought One is already happening in some form and I'm just too delusional to accept it?"

No comments: