Friday, March 14, 2014

The Rockaway Classic via Emmanuel Agnelikis

There's this whole generation of surfers out there who've grown up with ready access to images of themselves surfing. The digital revolution has been kind to these whelps. I think it's probable my own was the last generation to feel like the surfing photo is a kind of holy grail. My friends didn't have cheap water housings for a digital point and shoot. We didn't carry around some specially made underwater Go Pro with a magically never-ending memory card. Most my friends didn't give two whits about taking proper photos. First of all, we didn't have any place to put them, besides the drawer. I can count on my fingers and toes how many pictures there are of me surfing, and I can take three of those appendages away when I count how many attractive images there are of me surfing.

Here is a clutch of images Emmanuel captured from the day. He had one roll of 35mm film and made the best of it. The digital drawer gets filled a bit.

Imagine the inevitable crush of what amounts to salty slush. I was just fine with not making it to the next heat. Just fine.



There are more images to be found at the Rockaway Classic FB page and NYCUrchin

1 comment:

Freaky Born Wings said...

Great photos. And above all, glad there is a picture of that yellow Sunset board so I can visually fondle it every now and then.