Friday, May 24, 2013

Birding


It strikes me one way or another that when I started surfing, and shortly thereafter, when I started longboarding, the idea of taking out one of those big boards was a bit laughable in the surfing culture as a whole. Granted, it was a little more accepted up in Santa Barbara, where I really struggled to learn the art, but everywhere else it was the anomaly. Now, well, now it's past "all the rage" and is simply "how it's done" in certain conditions. There was that initial thrust, or I should say thruster longboards, that made everyone get all screwy and scrinchy at their noses but that sloughed into a more traditional approach and lead to a greater acceptance of alternative vehicles and duct tape invitationals and fish fries and maybe even hand plane exploration. There is definitely a cracking of the door in there somewhere with that narrative. I'm glad we are where we're at anyhow. I wish I had progressed farther than I did before I got this old, but maybe I can pass that down to my son. My kung fu kicking, ballet twisting, soccer champion son. I think I'll go show him this right now...

1 comment:

Wasabi said...

Amen brother. You're never too old to learn a few new tricks on a good log.