Monday, February 7, 2011

The Haves and the Haves-not






Sunday,on my first visit to the beach in a month and on one of the warmest days of late, I allowed myself to be talked out of surfing by those who live by the beach full time and recently don't go out unless it's "really good". It really pained me to drive away on such a warm sunny day within sight of clean, waist high peeling rights. I thought about all the times Todd and I drove an hr and just got in the water no matter what the conditions because that's what we drove out to do. In fact I don't think there was ever a time we didn't get in the water. In all fairness, it looked best when we drove up on the beach and not as good when we drove off. The water was 37ยบ. And while we were driving on the beach we clocked the waves at 29mph on the speedometer but really those aren't good enough excuses.

4 comments:

christian said...

Toddy once told me, "You have to get at least one." Those words have inspired to get wet on a ton of days when I would have normally driven right on by.

But 37 degrees? Holy hell.

toddy said...

And you with that new suit and new booties too. You're breaking my heart. Funny, you didn't mention this to me at work today...

Rebecca Olive said...

I have been away from this site too long! This post is perfect, Toddy - in sentiment and form.

I know loads of folk who try to stop me from going out because they don't want to. I kind of reckon it's because they feel guilty for not goin out themselves. I make sure I always have an extra great time, just so I can tell them how great it was later on...

Jeff DiNunzio said...

catching up on missed posts.

tough view to walk away from. but, 37 degrees.

almost lose lose. maybe just one wave.