Saturday, January 10, 2009

photo by carmel trejo of the carlsbad bureau

I first met Joel in 1996, maybe 1995. My Volvo had broken down, fortunately coasting right into the Chevron off the I-5 in Ashland, Oregon. Kevin just happened to be living in Ashland so I called him up. At the time, I had no money. In fact, had my car not broken down, I wasn't sure if I had enough gas money to even get to Seattle. Kevin put me up for a couple weeks while I cruised around town on a 20$ (borrowed money) orange ten speed. Joel was living with Kevin at the time and cut a pretty eccentric figure against what was a pretty eccentric backdrop to begin with. Finally, after some "good talking to" by my mother and nearly taking a job at a Taco Bell while alienating Kevin to the point of him nearly kicking me out on the street, I was wired a little cash to fix the car and went on my way.
A half year or so ago I saw Joel walking down Broadway in Brooklyn. What a chance. I took him to the Banya steam baths out in Bay Ridge and I got to momentarily enjoy his company once more. Now, this is a surf blog. But this is also a blog about inspiration and fun and good people. So here is a cool little story about Joel's dad. Check it.

6 comments:

christian said...

Cool story. Were you able to keep the bike?

Anonymous said...

oh no. I think I gave it to kevin as ad hoc rent.

Anonymous said...

he paid for it anyhow.

Anonymous said...

where are these steam baths in bay ridge? or did you mean brighton beach?

Anonymous said...

http://www.sandoonyusa.com/

Anonymous said...

Maybe that's not technically bay ridge. . .I am not that technically proficient with my brooklyn neighborhood names.